Current Job and Volunteer Opportunities:
Relationship & Development Specialist – Contract
United Way Waterloo Region Communities (UWWRC) is looking for a dynamic and passionate relationship manager. Through excellent stewardship and engagement practices, this individual will inspire current and prospective donors and volunteers to grow our community campaign and ultimately strengthen our communities.
UWWRC is more than just a place to work. Our workplace culture provides a great work atmosphere that is both challenging and rewarding, while respecting the need for balance between work and home. We offer a supportive team environment where opinions are valued and respected. Employees have the opportunity to work collaboratively, to provide feedback on department goals, to participate on committees, and to continuously improve their professional skills. We take pride in our employee programs, including health and wellness initiatives, charity involvement, environmental impact, social events and much more!
We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds, including those who may need accommodation, to apply to join our team. All applications are kept in strictest confidence. Please respond with an exceptional cover letter, resume and 3 references by the application deadline indicated for the current opportunity.
Position Title: Relationship & Development Specialist – Contract
Period: May 2017 to June 30, 2018
Location: Cambridge Office
Reporting Relationship: Director of Resource Development
The Relationship Development Specialist is responsible for working with the Resource Development (RD) team and United Way’s internal and external volunteers to grow the community campaign through stewardship and engagement of workplace campaigns and workplace donors.
This position will strengthen our existing partnerships through the use of strong relationship management skills and practices and by delivering on new and evolving practices as a part of the RD team. Working with the Director of Resource Development, you will formulate and implement strategies and meet goals compatible with a diverse fundraising environment. Cultivating relationships within the community, with a particular focus on organizations, and stewardship of employee campaign coordinators and existing donors are key to the success of the position.
Job Requirements (Knowledge, skills and abilities):
1. 3 to 5 years of experience in a diverse fundraising/sales environment, preferably in the not for profit sector
- Undergraduate degree or diploma in fund development, management or business or other relevant degree or diploma
- 2. Excellent written and oral communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- 3. Proven ability to build and maintain relationships
- 4. Strong interpersonal skills, including proven ability to work in a cross-functional team, and to motivate individuals to achieve results
- 5. Ability to build relationships with donors and express gratitude on a daily basis
- 6. Excellent task management skills and proven ability to meet deadlines
- 7. High attention to detail in all aspects of work
- 8. Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Word, Excel), experience with database software is an asset
- 9. Travel both within and outside Waterloo Region is required
1. Knowledge of United Way Waterloo Region Communities and its mandate
2. Basic mathematical skills; understanding of goal setting and budgeting
3. Willingness to work non-traditional hours on occasion
1. Donor/Workplace Management & Stewardship
1. Maintains and strengthens relationships within assigned workplace campaigns
2. Leads the planning and execution of activities at the account level in the areas of resource development
including developing and maintaining relationships with employee campaign coordinators and other
3. Ensures that campaign initiatives are evaluated, and that recommendations are developed and
implemented to increase the organization’s impact
4. Provides service and shows gratitude and the impact of contributions to improve and enhance the relationship with existing donors and volunteers (presentations, training sessions, meetings, hand written thank you cards, etc.)
5. Attends community engagement activities associated with assigned accounts (tours, volunteer days, simulations, etc.)
2. Fundraising Strategy & Implementation
1. Executes goals and tactics and provides weekly reporting on progress to goal completion
2. Analyzes results and provides recommendations for improvement.
3. Assists in the identification, design, and implementation of new fundraising opportunities to increase revenue
4. Assists in the planning and execution of a coordinated program for new donor/business engagement and relationship development
1. Writes donor and volunteer correspondence
2. Verbally communicates with donors, other team members, to ensure clarity and understanding of processes, results, reporting, etc.
3. Creates and delivers impactful presentations on United Way to a variety of audiences
4. Promotes United Way activities to assigned accounts and the general publicLiaises as a steward for United Way with internal volunteers, corporate stakeholders, and donors
5. Maintains a good working knowledge of United Way, its work and results
4. Team work & Volunteer Management
1. Works within the Resource Development team and cross functionally as required
2. Partners with senior volunteers who will lead the fundraising efforts, both to achieve financial results and to build long-term relationships
3. Set expectations, oversees, and provides feedback to partnering Sponsored Employees and Co-op students
4. Participates on project teams associated with organizational events
5. Other, including but not limited to:
1. Carries out special projects on occasion
2. Looks for efficiencies and recommending changes as necessary
3. Other duties as agreed